Tuesday, December 18, 2007

He won!

(phew). Nick Clegg is a prime reason I joined the Liberal Democrats - he kindly gave an hour of his time to me purely to provide career's advice (friend of a friend, another local Putney parent, etc). But the conversation fell into politics, it went on for ages, and it persuaded me to apply for Lib Dem policy adviser positions, and vastly accelerated my understanding of the party. In person he is both impressive and refreshingly normal - on TV, this may come across as a lack of polish compared to his opponent, but I think it stems from a deep determination to not b***shit anyone.

The next few months will be extremely interesting for the Party- at the time, I think he may have regretted the lower level of visibility his recently announced stance on immigration was allowed. This will change - at last, an honest debate on this topic (not 'we're thinking what you're thinking' snide and allusive threats), one that exposes the deception at the heart of the other parties' policies, which pretend to be able to expel, police-state style, hundreds of thousands of hard-working law-abiding immigrants as if they were a bacterial disease.

No comments: